Monday, September 16, 2013

Watching Crows

Today in my convergent media class at the University of Oklahoma our professor had classmates trade iPads which we recorded images, audio and video on each other's devices.  From these three mediums we were to choose one as a launching point to produce another form of media.

I actually was very apprehensive about trading iPads. It's not that I didn't trust my classmate to take care of my device, it's just something I don't do-touch other people's technology. It's like touching someone else's car, You Just Don't Do It!!

After I got over my anxiety with touching other people's "stuff," I recorded various images on my classmate's iPad. I recorded audio clips of the traffic passing the North Oval on campus at OU and the sounds as pedestrians wait at the crossing light. I took a few pictures of a locked door with a keypad, the wooden floor of the art school with a bright light shining into the image and a multi-colored paper mobile which was hanging in the window. I also recorded video of the university's new 3-D printer as it was making some type of head or bust. These are sounds and images which my classmate will use to create his convergent media piece.

Currently I am working with a reoccurring theme of surveillance and the act of watching or being watched.  The images in the video slideshow I have produced were re-appropriated from the Internet and set to an ambient sound captured by fellow media student, Tanner Trammell.  Below is my 33 second piece entitled Watching Crows.


Click on link below or go to: http://vimeo.com/74680716

Watching Crows from Shelly Perkins on Vimeo.


For more information about Shelly's work go to:
www.shellyperkins.com