Monday, March 18, 2013

College Student Parents Keep Working


Stock image from Sociology in Focus


Currently I am working on my final project for my Women and Gender Studies minor at the University of Oklahoma. I am making photographs and writing biographies about mothers who are currently college students. Both jobs are equally hard but combining them makes it quite a challenge. I know from being both that there are times when it just doesn't seem like I have enough time to complete everything in the day. I found this article and wanted to share it with others.

"First-generation college students (i.e. students whose parents did not graduate from college) are at higher risk of not completing college compared to students who have parents who completed college. Consider these statistics reported in USA Today: Nationally, 89% of low-income first-gen[eration college students] leave college within six years without a degree. More than a quarter leave after their first year — four times the dropout rate of higher-income second-generation students."

"I think my perspective on the importance of parental socialization regarding college crystallized as a graduate student. I did become a second-generation graduate student and first-generation doctorate student. But it was my grandma who had the Master’s degree, not my parents. In other words, graduate school was a world that my parents did not know. And after completing a graduate degree, I know exactly how to advise my own daughter on navigating graduate school. There are a number of things I understand about graduate school now that I am on the other side of it that I wish I had known and understood before I started graduate school. If you have teachers who are willing to share their graduate school experience, listen to them and ask them lots of questions."

"Having college-educated parents, does not just mean a likely higher household income growing up, but also helps socialize children into future roles as college students themselves (thanks, mom and dad!)." So remember when you're working so hard being a mother and you're a college student staying up all night, remember you're not only working to better yourself, but future generations. You're also working hard to improve the life of your children and their children. Keep working. Keep your head up. Study hard. Keep being a good parent. Don't forget in your day when you're spending so many hours reading, writing, and studying, don't forget why you're doing this. You're doing this for yourself, your kids and your family. Spend some time with them too. If you don't have a lot of money to spend on an activity with them, just take for a walk in your neighborhood (without constantly looking at your mobile device). Take your kiddos to the park, they're everywhere and they're free. Go to the library, not to check out books for your class or next research paper, but instead pick out books and sit in the corner and read to your kids. Don't forget in all the craziness of your college and parent life that you need to spend time with your kids and take some time out for yourself. Now, go get your degree.


http://www.sociologyinfocus.com/2012/10/22/socialization-the-advantage-of-being-a-2nd-generation-student/